The Suffolk Regiment Chapel
For Suffolk Regiment veterans and enthusiasts St Mary's Church is of particular interest; The Memorials of the Regiment are here. The Rood Screen, erected in 1913, is dedicated to officers who had been killed in action since 1902, or who had died while on the active list. There is a magnificent alabaster Cenotaph under the colours of the Service Battalions 'To the Glorious Memory of 360 Officers, 6,513 Warrant Officers, NCOs and Men' who fell in The Great War. Seventeen Battalions and The Depot of The Suffolk Regiment are included in the illuminated Roll of Honour placed in front of the Cenotaph. The Regimental Chapel is in the Northeast corner; this was decorated and furnished in 1935 to commemorate the 250th anniversary of the Regiment.
The names of those who fell in Palestine and Malaya are carved on the Rood Screen and, in the Chapel itself, all chairs, kneelers, oak panels and stained glass windows are memorials to individual Suffolk Regiment soldiers.
The Chapel Committee take great care of the Chapel and the ladies of the Committee make sure that fresh flowers are placed in the Chapel every week.
The Chapel is available for Christenings, Weddings and Memorial Services.
Return to Regimental History / Main Menu